Saturday, June 2, 2012

38 Studios Coda

So I haven't blogged in the past year, since I was busy at 38 Studios and much of what I was working on was confidential.  Suffice it to say that it was indeed my dream job. Working with good friends on an amazing project with the full support of the company and a great work/life balance.

Lots of people have talked about what happened at the company, so I'll just give the short and sweet version...
The company ran out of money, and instead of spending the last of it gracefully shutting down, they prayed for a miracle that never happened. Yes, I believe the governor's press statements didn't help, but the company was so close to zero that an extra month of operation may not have been enough. The story is tragic, and gets more so each week as more details come to light.

But, I am thankful for one of the best game development years of my life, and I am amazed and happy at how we, our friends, and the industry as a whole have been so supportive.  We intended to change the world with our game, but we are changing the world through our shared bond and the knowledge of what we had, what we did, and what can be.  I feel like I have a family that will last for the rest of our lives, spreading throughout the industry and beyond.

Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment